The benefits of learning martial arts at an early age cannot be overstated. If you are a parent contemplating whether you should allow your children to learn the skills or not, know that there are countless reasons why you should consider enrolling your children in a martial arts program.
Here are some of the benefits that your kids can get from the process:
- Self-Control: Martial arts teach self-control. From respecting their fellow students to practicing discipline and restraint, martial arts can teach a child to be mindful of the self and others.
- Confidence: Martial arts instill confidence in children, just as they do in adults. Children will discover a new sense of personal value while learning to defend themselves.
- Discipline: While martial arts instill self-control and confidence, they also teach children to be disciplined. Class structure, daily practice, and a structured environment encourage a child to be respectful and responsible.
- Bonding and Camaraderie: Martial arts classes also encourage a child to bond with fellow students and their instructor. Martial arts classes can foster new friendships and a sense of belonging for your child.
- Balance: Children who practise martial arts learn how to properly balance their bodies and use their core muscles to their advantage. It is incredibly beneficial for everyday life, whether in sports, dance, school, or routine exercise.
- Values: Martial arts teach children critical moral lessons. The martial arts practice helps kids maintain a positive attitude, respect themselves and others, and confidently face challenges.
- Physical Health: Martial arts are an excellent way for a child to stay physically active, which is essential for their health and well-being.
- Mental Health: Research shows that martial arts are helpful for children in reducing stress, developing empathy, and improving self-esteem.
- Communication: Being in a martial arts class teaches kids about communication and how to use their voice to lead. Whether teaching a class or learning how to self-advocate, martial arts classes build confidence and encourage children to express themselves.
- Creativity: Children can be creative and imaginative, and martial arts classes encourage this process. Martial arts classes allow kids to develop their fighting style and use their imagination to their advantage.
- Responsibility: Martial arts instill a sense of responsibility in children at a young age. From practicing daily to completing weekly assignments, martial arts teach a child to be accountable for their actions.
What Age Should Your Children Learn Martial Arts?
While children of all ages can learn martial arts, the ideal time to start is between the ages of six and eight. They are a window of opportunity in which kids are most receptive to new things and learning new skills.
This age range is also when their bodies develop rapidly, and they learn best. Keep in mind that the learning process is easier to absorb when children are at this age. The earlier your child learns, the better. However, it’s never too late for older kids to start learning as well.
The benefits of martial arts are numerous, and the benefits for your child are immense. With martial arts, you can instill proper values, foster self-discipline, develop a sense of confidence, and have fun all at the same time.
For parents who are skeptical of starting their child in martial arts classes, it’s best to know that your child will benefit significantly from the process. Those who are hesitant to enroll their child should not be afraid because the benefits of martial arts go far beyond the martial arts training itself.
Marcus Soares Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu Academy offers the best training in Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu for kids in Vancouver, Langley, and Maple Ridge. Our mission is to provide an environment for students to learn martial arts and build a sense of confidence and self-respect through an age-appropriate curriculum. Sign up now.